It is our goal at all Tech Valley Game Space (TVGS) gatherings, both physical and online, to encourage and celebrate diversity in games with a constructive working and learning atmosphere. To that end:
- We are a safe space. We welcome people of all gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, ages, and abilities to join us and participate in our activities, secure in the knowledge that we constantly work to prevent harassment or oppression within our community.
- We support the empowerment and expression of all by avoiding assumptions, promoting mutual appreciation, and respecting everyone’s names, preferred gender pronouns, expressed identities, and experiences.
- We understand that no one is required to share information about their identities or experience(s).
- We affirm that all people are deserving of mutual respect and commit to mutual aid, anti-oppression, advocacy, conflict resolution, nonviolence, direct democracy, and community building.
- We agree to protect everyone from any threats, physical harm, intimidation, harassment, abuse, discrimination, sexual attention, and other derogatory or demeaning conduct.
- We respect everyone’s personal space, and do not enter someone’s personal space, including touching of the other person or using their belongings, without explicit prior permission.
- We recognize that certain behaviors can be triggering for individuals, such as trivializing or dismissing someone’s thoughts or experiences, and actively discourage such behavior.
- We accept a shared responsibility where we hold ourselves and one another accountable to these agreements, without violence, judgment, or assumption of intent.
- We follow the rules and/or regulations of the venue.
Please note that this list is far from extensive. Below is part of a longer list of behaviors and harassments deemed unacceptable while participating in TVGS events or in a TVGS venue.
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning conduct by any attendees of TVGS and related events.
- Assembling for the purpose of, or resulting in, disturbing the peace, or committing any unlawful act or engaging in any behavior in contradiction to the standards outlined above.
- Possession of any item that can be used as a weapon, appears to be a weapon, or which may cause danger to others, unless an event explicitly requires said tool. If so, the possessor of the tool must follow the event’s directions, and may not use it for any other purposes.
- Possessing any illegal substance, including but not limited to narcotics, marijuana, or other illegal drugs.
- Smoking, vaping, and possessing any open can, bottle or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverages during TVGS events.
- Failure to obey any rules or regulations of the venue.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Written or verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination, intimidation, or objectification related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion.
- Sexual images in public space.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following.
- Harassing photography or recording.
- Sustained disruption of working, co-working, projects, talks or other events.
- Inappropriate physical contact and use of other’s belongings.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviors.
What to Do if You Witness or are Subject to Unacceptable Behavior
If you are subject to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify a volunteer or use the contact information below as soon as possible. All reports will remain completely confidential.
The TVGS team will be available to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, to provide escorts, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behavior to feel safe in our venue. You can report unacceptable behavior to any TVGS coordinator or you may email one of the contacts below.
If you have a personal safety concern and wish to request additional security, please contact a volunteer coordinator, and they will assist you.
Please use our contact form at the “Contact Us” page.