Lift Off is a free, inclusive, six-week program for self-identified women and non-binary participants to make their first game; no coding or other game development experience needed! This diversity-focused workshop series invites selected applicants of varied backgrounds and interests to create their own game. Participants will learn and practice the skill sets involved in making a game, from design, art, coding, audio composition and more.
The deadline for applying to Lift Off is September 8th, 2018 at midnight EST. All applicants will receive a response before mid-September.
Have you ever wanted to make a game, but felt uncertain about how to get started? You’re not alone. Lift Off is designed for people just like you, because the truth is that you absolutely can make a game! Apply today, and take the first step toward bringing your game idea to life with support from our team of experienced mentors and the friendly community at Tech Valley Game Space.
Tech Valley Game Space (30 3rd Street, Troy NY)
7 sessions from 1-3pm on Saturdays, from September 29th to November 10th, 2018.
- How much does this cost?
- No cost, this is all free!
- Do I need my own laptop or other equipment/software?
- Everything that you need for the incubator will be accessible at the space. We’ll be teaching lots of free software options which you can use at home or elsewhere. You’ll also get free 24/7 access to TVGS so you can work at your convenience!
- Does TVGS/Lift Off claim any ownership rights or make profit from my work?
- Nope! Anything you make is yours to completely own and do what you wish with.
- Do I need to have a personal goal?
- We do want you coming in with a general game idea! It doesn’t have to be fully realized, but enough of a direction that we can help you start making it.
- How much work is involved to participate in this program?
- 2 hours per week of required participation, plus 8 hours per week of suggested work time.
- Are you looking for a certain kind of applicant?
- We’re looking for people who don’t already have extensive experience with game making. Even if you’ve made or worked on a game before, if you are at a beginner level we’re looking for you!
- Do I need to have any programming, art or sound skills?
- Nope! This incubator is focused on beginners in any field. You’ll be taught all these skills and more over the course of the program.